Hanoi People’s Committee just elected two important decisions to attract foreign tourists to Hanoi since September 1st 2016.
1. Open more walking streets around Hoan Kiem Lake
• The streets include Dinh Tien Hoang, Le Lai, Le Thach, Dinh Le, Nguyen Xi, Trang Tien (from Ngo Quyen to Dinh Tien Hoang), Hang Khay, Le Thai To, Hang Trong (from St. Joseph’s Cathedral to Le Thai To), Nha Tho and the Cathedral square.
• The streets, which run around Hoan Kiem Lake, will be closed to traffic from 19:00 – 2:00 am in summer and 18:00 to 2:00 am in winter from Friday to Sunday and on some holidays.
• Tourist can access free wifi at every corner around Hoan Kiem Lake.
• Tourist can enjoy a wide range of cultural, musical and art performance and folk games.
2. Extend the midnight curfew to restaurants and bars
Restaurants and bars in Hanoi’s downtown Hoan Kiem district will be allowed to open until 2am from Friday to Sunday
The decision to lift the midnight curfew will attract more tourists, especially younger people. This will be an effective measure to make tourists stay longer and spend more on entertainment and services. However, it needs close management to avoid negative effects.